Geary & Associates offers career counseling services to help:
- Individuals who want
to resolve a career choice.
- Parents who want to assist children explore career and educational options.
- Employers who want to assist valued employees with career development and management issues within the firm.
Who can benefit from career counseling services?
Career counseling can help you, if:
- You are troubled by issues regarding career choice, career advancement within your profession or career transition within the firm or industry.
- You are uncertain about whether or not you want to invest in formal training or are concerned that you may not be able to handle the academics.
What can career counseling do for the individual?
Career counseling services can benefit the individual who is prepared to invest time and effort to achieve goals and objectives. Career counseling can help the individual:
- Tailor a career management plan towards specific goals.
- Select a college major or training program.
- Evaluate a self-employment objective.
- Implement immediate and pragmatic career, occupational, or employment change decisions due to an industrial injury, physical impairment or illness, a layoff, plant closure, company reorganization and/or other life crises.
- Prepare a tailored resume, promote and market skills, improve oral interviewing skills, develop job leads and organize a job search campaign.
What is the role of the counselor?
Counseling is not handholding. There is more to career counseling or consulting
than just administering an aptitude/achievement test or interest inventory,
viewing video modules or accessing computerized career exploration
systems. These are useful tools- but only tools. The counselor will assist
you in thinking through goals and objectives, researching options and
exploring alternatives. The counselor will work with you to prepare a
plan, guided by your needs, values and goals to set down what you want
to achieve; i.e., your vocational, occupational and financial objectives.With considerable work on your
part, the counselor will help you:
- List the steps you need to complete to achieve your plans;
- Identify, with your diligent efforts, your talents, abilities, aptitudes, temperaments, values, leadership/ management style, all of which identify your job content, functional, and management skills;
- Develop a structure to help you organize activities and suggest methods to help you take advantage of what you have learned;
- Monitor your progress.
& Associates, charges fees by the hour. Fees are payable at the
end of the session. Equally important are the estimated total fees and
calendar time, which of course, depend on the unique situation and needs
of the individual. We will discuss estimated total hours and fees and
the calendar time in advance. Individuals do not pay in advance or sign
contracts or agreements.
Career counseling services may include:
- Initial Diagnostic Interview to clarify objectives & challenges.
- Supportive counseling to handle acute family & personal needs.
- Identification of marketable transferable skills.
- Assessment of aptitudes, achievements and interests.
- Clarification of employment goals and immediate objectives.
- Projecting financial obligations of training or college and daily expenses of training..
- Clarification of long term goals.
- Research - industries, companies, occupations.
- Research position titles and compensation packages.
- Identifying and developing mentors in an industry or professional field.
- Preparation a resume.
All Rights Reserved © Geary & Associates